“Summer Sneakers No. 1 – Lotta”, knit with handdyed sockyarn (Merino 80 % / Linen 20 %), size 38/39, that’s about size 5,5/6 in the U.K. and size 7,5/8 in the U.S.)
- One skein of hand-dyed sock yarn, 4-ply, ~420 m / 100 g or a comparable yarn, here Merino 80 % / Linen 20 %
- A set of double pointed needles size Nr. 2,5 / U.S. size 1,5
Main pattern (charted): the chart is read from the right bottom to the left top.
You need a multiple of 15 stitches.
Repeat round 1 to 5.
Empty boxes = knit
- = purl
U = Yo (yarn over)
/3\ = Sl1, K2tog, Psso (double left slanting decrease: slip one stitch, knit the following two stitches together and pass the slipped stitch over)
M2 = Kfb (knit into front and back of the loop)
Abbreviations for the toe:
SSK = slip two stitches knitwise to the right needle, return to the left needle and knit both stitches through the back of the loops
K2tog = knit two stitches together
Loosely cast on 60 stitches, join in a ring and be careful not to twist stitches. Divide the stitches evenly on four needles (15 stitches on each needle).
Begin knitting with K3 / P3 for ten rounds.
Knit the leg for three repetitions of the main chart or till the desired leg height is reached.
As the short-row heel is slightly shorter than a “usual” heel, I always knit a heel flap when using this heel in a pattern.
Heel flap: In the following 10 rounds knit the stitches on the first and the fourth needle in stockinette stitch and continue the main pattern on needle two and three.
After finishing the heel-flap rounds knit a short-row heel.
Continue knitting in stockinette stitch on needle one and four and in pattern on needles two and three until desired length (here ~ 20 cm from heel).
The toe is knit in stockinette stitch.
1. needle: knit until there are 3 stitches left, k2tog, knit the last stitch
2. needle: knit one stitch, SSK, knit the remaining stitches
3. needle: knit until there are 3 stitches left, k2tog, knit the last stitch
4. needle: knit one stitch, SSK, knit the remaining stitches
Continue in that way until there are 5 stitches remaining on each needle.
Use the kitchener stitch to graft the toe closed and weave in ends.
Summer Sneakers No.1 at Ravelry: